New Movella motion sensor backs up centimeter-accurate position data with high-bandwidth inertial measurements
Xsens MTi-8, a miniature surface-mount sensor from Movella, provides dead reckoning inputs to fill gaps or correct errors in data from RTK GNSS receivers
Enschede, The Netherlands – October 27, 2022 – Movella™, a global innovator of advanced technologies and products that sense, capture, and analyze movement, today launched the Xsens MTi-8, a miniature surface-mount motion sensor which combines centimeter-accurate positioning data outputs with a high-bandwidth inertial navigation system (INS) to enable precise dead reckoning.
The new MTi-8’s INS is based on a proven inertial measurement unit – a platform first implemented in the existing MTi-3 and MTi-7 products. The MTi-8 also features an RTK GNSS satellite positioning receiver interface. The interface is compatible with universal NMEA signals, and with u-blox, Septentrio and Trimble data formats.
The MTi-8’s on-board INS capability means that RTK satellite positioning data can be enhanced in various ways:
- To maintain real-time position information by dead reckoning in tunnels, under bridges and in other locations in which the satellite and/or RTK signal may be lost temporarily
- To correct intermittently faulty satellite position information when a positioning and/or RTK signal is temporarily lost or distorted
- To increase the update rate of position and velocity data in fast-moving applications. The typical RTK GNSS receiver’s update rate is 10Hz. The MTi-8 increases this to up to 100Hz by filling in the gaps between GNSS receiver outputs with INS calculations.
Arnout Koelewijn, Product Manager at Movella, said: ‘Unlike a stand-alone RTK GNSS receiver, the MTi-8 provides fast, accurate positioning data at all times in all conditions, as well as giving the orientation measurements which are essential in many applications. The MTi-8 is the new way to supercharge the performance of an RTK GNSS receiver.’
Complete GNSS/INS hardware and software system
The MTi-8 hardware system consists of a 3D gyroscope, 3D accelerometer and magnetometer, and interfaces to an external GNSS receiver and barometer, all housed in a small 12.1mm x 12.1mm x 2.55mm package.
Xsens sensor fusion software generates precisely synchronized measurements of roll, pitch, yaw/heading, velocity and position. The sensor fusion software operates with ultra-low latency to maintain high accuracy at output data rates up to 100Hz.
This makes the MTi-8 ideal for a wide range of slow or fast navigation, stabilization, mapping and scanning applications. It may be used in autonomous vehicles, outdoor mobile robots, and many other products.
Development with the MTi-8 is supported by the Xsens MT Software Suite, which includes:
- MT Manager – a GUI for Windows and Linux® platforms. MT Manager provides tools including a firmware updater and magnetic field mapper.
- Software development kit
- Code examples
- Drivers for LabVIEW, Robot Operating System (ROS) and GO
Movella also provides BASE by Xsens, an online repository of manuals and a knowledge base, as well as a community forum.
The MTi-8 sensor is available worldwide in production volumes from authorized distributors.
Per maggiori informazioni contattaci: https://www.lunitek.it/contatta-sensoristica-e-acquisizione-dati/